Product Owner / Sr. UX Architect
User Experience isn't what I do it's who I am. Doing user experience right means it's invisible to an end user, it just works.
User Experience Architecture CSS 3
Enterprise UX / UI Design Healthcare UX / UI Design
Mobile UI/UX Design, iOS / Android Jquery
Visual Mock-Up Design Journey Maps
Team Development / Building User Stories
User Research lab design Work Flow Diagrams
Mentor Social Network UI Design
Information Architecture User Testing
Axure Wireframes 508 Compliance
Agile / SCRUM Persona Development
Heuristic Evaluation Taxonomy Matrix
User Surveys Cognitive Analysis
Mouse Tracking & Analysis User Focus Groups
Gaze Analysis User Video Analysis
• Manage the largest group on the Internet for User Experience Professionals with 86,000+ members.
• Sr. UX Consultant for Xprize Foundation – Qualcomm Tricoder
• Hold program chair for ModevUX.
• Requested for various speaking events around the US about User Experience. In the areas of mobile, enterprise, health, and consumer products.
• Have been asked to co-author 2 books based on UX by O’Reilly Media.
Jun 2013 – Mar 2014 Longview Inc. Reston, VA.
Director of User Experience
• Oversee all UX/UI work across all projects.
• Set global corporate standards and processes for UX.
• Design and build out of usability lab with the capability to perform Heuristic & Cognitive analysis, eye / gaze tracking, focus groups and complete user and usability research.
• Act as the overall "Design Owner" on all works.
• Introduced UX within an established SCRUM process without impacting SCRUM workflow.
• Implemented "Design Studio" as a means to solve complex "design" problems incorporating development and design.
• Brought a "mobile first" methodology and mind-set to the global corporation.
• Performed day-to-day hands on design work such as creating wire frames in Axure and visual designs in Photoshop.
• Architected and designed mobile application that revolutionizes a healthcare providers interaction with their patients.
• Designed patient facing mobile app allowing the recording of key care plan metrics that would also interface with Fitbit and other Bluetooth devices.
• Provided mentoring to junior designers and coaching to 2 direct reports.
• Conducted mini-seminar for business development on core of UX and current corporate UX capabilities.
• Evangelized UX as a core competency within the organization.
Feb 2013 – Jun 2013 AOL Inc. Dulles, VA.
Principle UX Architect
• Revised all UX for project that had been in development for 18 months.
• Implemented Lean UX and Design Studio processes in order to facilitate rapid UX/UI design.
• Coordinated efforts with developer and creative staff.
• Designed and built out 2-station usability lab with complete user Performed user interaction tracking and user reporting.
• Interacted with product marketing in delivering the correct messaging within the context of a user experience.
• Set Axure as the default wire frame product used within division allowing for stakeholders the ability to see complex user interactions.
Apr 2012 – Feb 2013 Verisign Inc. Reston, VA.
User Experience Mgr.
• Provided UX / UI for 14 products and 2 stand-alone sites.
• Implemented Agile UX process enterprise wide.
• Designed, deployed UX intake process for the enterprise.
• Oversee offshore team of UI designers and UI developers.
• Re-architected 3 closed products to being platform based in order to allow the ability to build upon core engine technologies in a modular fashion.
• Implemented Jira and GreenHopper for stakeholder UX project tracking & management, issue tracking and team collaboration.
• Designed and implemented “Design Studio” rapid ideation process across silo teams in order to facilitate a one common approach to UX.
• Implemented a “mobile first” approach. Changing the corporate culture of strictly desktop browser solutions.
• Have final sign-off on products to be deployed to production along with product manager.
• Worked with product marketing to insure that the proper user experience was carried through into marketing efforts.
• On two different boards that review and approve new product initiatives.
Oct 2011 – March 2012 Macrosys LLC. Rosslyn, VA.
Principle User Experience Architect
• Principle UX Architect for all projects in the UX and UI space.
• Lead a team of 4 direct reports.
• Implemented UX processes in working with various government agencies.
• Conducted discovery meetings as well as on going in project meetings with high-level government stakeholders.
• Provided education to executive staff on the value proposition of UX to clients and their business model.
• Performed hands-on design work such as modernizing the company brand.
• Working with executive staff to review and evaluate key value offerings. Enhancing and/or repositioning of key values and services.
• Design wire frames and mockups for 3 high profile projects within first 2 weeks.
• Designed 4 mobile applications UX / UI for DOT and The Volpe Center in Boston.
June 2011 – Oct 2011 CACI (Library of Congress) Arlington, VA.
Sr. User Experience Architect (contract)
• Reviewed and chose technologies used for Library of Congress first interactive e-book.
• Designed all UI elements for Aseop Fables interactive e-book consisting of 140 fables.
• Wrote HTML5, CSS3 and Jquery code used.
• Implemented Axure as a standardized wire frame tool as well as Hype for “Flash” like functionality delivered in HTML5.
• Had 2 direct reports and mentored the Jr. designer.
March 2011 – June 2011 Johnston McLamb Chantilly, VA.
Sr. User Experience Architect (contract)
• Principle UX Architect for mobile application for the (USPS) United States Post Office.
• Lead a team of 6 direct reports and mentored several interns.
• Performed enterprise architect duties. Selected overall development framework; Html 5, CSS3, Jquery Mobile and Phonegap.
• Evaluated various application wrapper technologies such as Phonegap and Titanium for mobile platforms allowing for the distribution of a web-based application to the Apple store.
• Designed all interactive wireframes using Axure.
• Architected application to work on iOS, Android and Blackberry.
• Proposed “out of the box” solutions, such as the use of Augmented Reality, streaming of html 5 video content capable of HD quality, full screen.
• Coded the front-end Html5, CSS3, Jquery and Jquery mobile.
• Performed all Visual Design work using Adobe Suite CS5.5
Sept 2010 – March 2011 MetroStar Systems Reston, VA.
Sr. Information Architect / Art Director
• Tasked with a complete redesign of FCC.gov website external public and also develop new internal workflow processes.
• Had direct dealings with the Managing Director, Steve Van Roekel current Federal CIO.
• Developed concept to turn FCC into a branded entity, setting it apart from other government agencies.
• Conceptualize, Design and develop new innovative solutions such as those using Jquery that is not a standard in government sites.
• Had one direct report, front-end developer.
• Coordinated tasks with development team in order to stay within agile sprints.
Mar 2010 – Sept 2010 Amtrak Corp. Washington DC.
Principle User Experience Architect (contract)
• Implemented Axure as a standardized tool for developing interactive wire frames
• Developed all front-end HTML/CSS3 and Jquery code
• Worked with stakeholders, Business Analysts and Enterprise Analysts in designing advanced user interface screens and functionality
• Designed large operational displays of train status for service facilities
• Conducted gap analysis between two internal projects and wrote up report
Apr 09 – Feb 2010 Interval International Miami, FL
Sr. User Experience Architect (contract)
• This encompasses evaluating proposed workflows and technology drivers, creating user workflows and advanced functional wire frames using Axure as our leading design tool.
• Migration of a legacy AS400 application to a browser-based environment; for both internal employees and external clients.
• Add and extended usability with the utilization of Jquery as a common java script framework with standards compliant Html and CSS making up the front-end.
• Conduct meetings presenting proposed wire frames to various executive level stakeholders; covering concept, vision, future design and business goals.
• Proposed Axure as the wire frame tool of choice for the IA and UI teams; sighting various advanced features over Fireworks.
• I was also requested to assist BA's/Business Analysts on use case design and development incorporating user centric design best practices.
Oct 08 – May 10 Consultant Orlando, FL
Sr. User Experience Architect / UI Designer
• Provided UX/UI consulting services to various enterprise and start-up companies.
• Established UX processes that didn't exist.
• Educated executives and teams to focus on the needs of the user and not the problem
• Consulted with product owners and stakeholders on product direction
• Worked side-by-side with development teams to insure continuity of the proposed solution were being met, also consulted when UX/UI issues were encountered
Jul 08 – Oct 08 Wyndham World Wide Orlando, FL
Sr. UI Designer
• Conversion of legacy AS400 global applications to web based solution. This included internal users as well as highly transactional public facing.
• Developed complex wire frames, prototypes, visual mockups and Html, CSS and Jquery functionality based on Business Analyst findings.
• Conducted design reviews with key executive stakeholders.
• Mentored Jr. UI Designer on complex enterprise wide UX and UI Design.
Jun 08 – Jul 08 Clear Channel Communications Orlando, FL
• Redesigned UI for internal portal for DJ’s and others in communications.
• Implemented user centric design principles within the team.
• Lead UI on agile project team.
Mar 08 – Jun 08 Tempus Resorts Int. Orlando, FL
Sr. UI Design Specialist
• Designed UX/UI for new property launch at Hard Rock Park.
• Evangelized that code base should be moved from tables to tables code base. Lead on making this happen.
• Implemented Agile team and development process.
• Mentored Jr. designer.
• Designed the UX/UI on several internal and external public/transactional facing sites.
May 07 – Mar 08 Consultant Orlando, FL
Sr. UX / UI Designer
• Designed UX / UI for well-known golf community in central florida.
• Provided video editing, motion graphics and design work for Dodge for national on-air broadcast.
• Designed complete corporate identity for several startups including front-end site design and coding.
Feb 07 – Oct 07 Carley Corp. Orlando, FL
Sr. UI Designer / Instructional Designer
• Designed complex student workflows for various government agencies such as Marines, US Air Force and Army.
• Designed UI’s for WBT and CBT solutions for such systems as Aegis Advanced Weapon System, road building, AT4 Shoulder Fired Rocket and others.
Oct 06 – Feb 07 Siemens Power Generation Orlando, FL
Sr. Interactive Designer
• Designed Flash based SCORM complaint WBT and CBT solutions for various turbine power generation units and engineering levels.
• Modeled 3D turbine components for exploded views within the LMS as shared assets.
• Edited and added motion graphics to video that had been shot in and around various power generation units for online delivery within a CBT solution.
• Was lead on various other projects within power generation division outside of WBT and/or CBT development.
Oct 05 – Apr 06 Image ITS Orlando, FL
Sr. UX / UI Designer
• Designed UX and UI solutions for WBT, CBT and front-end user facing sites.
• Provided video encoding for various projects and was able to reduce file size by 90%.
• Used Flash for various interactive simulations utilized within CBT and WBT initiatives for the VA and the Navy.
• Developed all works to SCORM and 508 usability standards.
• Clients included DOD, DOJ, Marines, Navy and the VA.
Feb 05 – Sep 05 Mouse Effects Inc. Orlando, FL
Sr. Web Designer
• Implemented tables based site designs.
• Designed new corporate identity for Mouse Effects.
• Developed new product and delivery method utilizing Flash.
• Designed print materials for clients as needed.
Nov 02 – Feb 05 Consulting Orlando, FL
Sr. Web Designer
• Consulted for various different start-ups on User Experience, UI Design and marketing.
Feb 01 – Nov 02 CNL Group. Orlando, FL
Sr. Design Engineer
• Managed team of 5 direct reports.
• Designed Flash and html based sites for internal clients due to being part of “central services”.
• Designed marketing materials for 15 business units.
• Assisted in the rebranding of CNL group and it’s online identity.
• Researched various CMS solutions that would facilitate faster deployment of content for various business units.
• Developed ROI and TCO cost analysis reports based on a business units technology choices.
• Implemented MS Project Central as a way of project and team management with external visibility to internal clients.
1986 – 1989 Stanford University Palo Alto, CA
2000 – present NAPP – National Association of Photoshop Professionals
2010 – present IxDA